Koimesis tes Theotokou-Chonika

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/12/006
Level Item
Place Chonika
Dates 1907-1908?
Creator Harvey, Mr William
Scope and Content Dancing next to the north side of the church. Further annotation in pencil survives at the back of the photograph.
Further information The church at Chonika, which is dedicated to the Dormition (Koimesis) of the Theotokos, lies in the middle of present-day Chonika village. The impressive monument stands on a three-stepped crepidome. It is of the tetrastyle inscribed cross-in square type with dome and narthex. Two large crosses decorate the lower part of the walls. Regular cloisonné has been used for the walling. Dentil courses and pseudo-Kufic inserts enliven the exterior. The east façade up to the level of the windows is built exclusively of marble. The dome as well as the gable-windows have been destroyed. Thus the aesthetic impact of the church is considerably diminished. Based on specific features, research considers the monument to be of a relatively early date: the Chonika church has been dated to the 12th c.