Koimesis tes Theotokou-Chonika

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/12/029
Level Item
Place Chonika
Dates 1907-1908?
Creator Harvey, Mr William
Scope and Content Upper row: Cross section looking east (left) - Cross section looking west (right), Lower row: South elevation. The drawing is entitled in ink:'Argolis Chonika Church of the Koimesis'. It is labelled in ink: 'Cross Section looking East', 'Cross Section looking West', 'South Elevation'. It is numbered in ink (no 2) in the upper right-hand corner.
Further information The church at Chonika, which is dedicated to the Dormition (Koimesis) of the Theotokos, lies in the middle of present-day Chonika village. The impressive monument stands on a three-stepped crepidome. It is of the tetrastyle inscribed cross-in square type with dome and narthex. Two large crosses decorate the lower part of the walls. Regular cloisonné has been used for the walling. Dentil courses and pseudo-Kufic inserts enliven the exterior. The east façade up to the level of the windows is built exclusively of marble. The dome as well as the gable-windows have been destroyed. Thus the aesthetic impact of the church is considerably diminished. Based on specific features, research considers the monument to be of a relatively early date: the Chonika church has been dated to the 12th c.