|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Caton, Dr Richard C.
|Scope and Content||Distant view. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 6143). It is annotated in pencil at the back with the name of the creator/donor, Caton, R (?).|
|Further information||The town of Lindos on the east coast of the island of Rhodes was founded by the Dorians around the 10th c. BC and flourished as a wealthy trading-centre particularly before the foundation of the city of Rhodes (late 5th c.).
The acropolis, which manifests a series of successive construction phases as late as the Ottoman period, was dominated in ancient times by the massive temple of Athena Lindia which was completed by c. 300 BC but enlarged in the Hellenistic and the Roman periods. A series of other ancient, Crusader and Byzantine buildings still survive inside the enceinte.
[BSA SPHS 01/2288.6143], Lindos: Greek Portico, 1906