Holy Sepulchre (?)

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/04/01/005
Level Item
Place Jerusalem
Dates 1907-1909?
Creator Harvey, Mr William
Scope and Content Distant view of the Holy Sepulchre(?). The photograph is annotated in pencil at the back.
Further information The complex of the Holy Sepulchre, one of the holiest locus sanctus located in the Old City of Jerusalem, was built by Constantine the Great in the 4th c. It consists of: the Anastasis Rotunda which encloses the Holy Tomb, Golgotha -the Hill of Cavalry- a rocky path to the east and the five-aisled basilica, preceded by an atrium and a colonnaded propylaeum, to the east of Golgotha. Propylaeum, atrium, basilica and the domed structure led to the open area to the east, the Tomb of Christ. The complex suffered severe damage and was extensively rebuilt and embellished in the 7th and the 11th c. In the fire of 1808 the dome collapsed but was soon repaired. Major pilgrim destination since the 4th c., the Holy Sepulchre, the martyrium of Christ’s sacrifice and resurrection, has been associated mainly with the True Cross. Today, it serves as the headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem