Hagioi Apostoloi

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/16/008
Level Item
Place Pyrgi
Dates ca. 1913
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Scope and Content Close view of the dome. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. no. 6277). It is initialed in pencil (F.W.H) on the reverse. Further annotation in pencil survives.
Further information The small church Hagioi Apostoloi is located at the very centre of Pyrgi, the village with the largest number of churches on Chios island. In terms of architecture, is a later copy of the Nea Moni. The refined cloisonné masonry of the monument is decorated with numerous geometric brickwork patterns/motifs as well as with inserted glazed ceramic bowls. The interior is covered with frescoes executed, according to surviving inscriptions, by the Cretan Antonio Domesticho in 1665. The Byzantine (14th c.?) church was restored by monk Symeon, the later bishop of Chios, in 1564.
Reference The Church of Our Lady of the Hundred Gates (Panagia Hekatontapyliani) in Paros. pl.8a.