Koimesis tes Theotokou

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/14/006
Level Item
Place Geraki
Dates 1904-1905?
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Scope and Content South long-distant view. Annotation in pencil on the back of the photo: H.S. 6247, Geraki, Panagia Theotokos, F.W.H. H.S.= Hellenic Society negative number
Further information This domed basilica is the central church of Geraki. According to a surviving inscription, it was built in 1702. A large extension, including a multi-storey bell-tower, was added to the west side of the building. Worth noting is the impressive wood-carved templon which was gilded by Master Jeremiah in 1735.
Related records [BSA SPHS 01/2336.6247], Geraki: Church of κοιμήσεως της Θεοτόκου [Panagia Theotokos], 1905