Hagios Georgios

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/14/109
Level Item
Place Hagios Georgios
Dates 1906-1907?
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Scope and Content The synthronon in the east apse. The photograph is annotated in pencil at the back.
Further information The north-east corner of the Peloponnese is known under the name 'Maleas'. The north part of Maleas, the so-called 'Hagion Oros', is full of Byzantine/post-Byzantine churches and modest chapels. Hagia Irene is built on the rock outcrop of a steep hill 'hanging' above the sea. Only modest remains survive from Hagios Georgios.
Related records [BSA SPHS 01/1104.2922], Laconia, Cape Malea, Ayia Eirini Monastery: Ayios Georgos apse with [Bishop's] throne, 1905