Alea Basilica

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/11/009
Level Item
Place Tegea Sanctuary of Alea Athena
Tegea
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Door slab from the temple gate. This is a preliminary drawing. It is annotated in pencil in the upper right-hand corner:' Tegea Museum'. Further annotation in pencil survives.
Further information The temple of ancient Alea was turned into a three-aisled basilica during the early Christian period. Ruins of the colonatte stylobates still survive in situ. Capitals and other marble spolia from the Alea Basilica are now kept at the Museum of Tegea.