Castle of St Peter (Bodrum Castle)

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/02/03/002
Level Item
Place Halicarnassos
Dates before 1913
Creator Baker-Penoyre, Mr John ff.
Scope and Content View in castle. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is signed (W. Connal) and numbered (H.S. 7160) in pencil at the back. Further annotation in pencil survives. J. Penoyre appears to be the donor of the photograph.
Further information Bodrum Castle, the castle of St Peter, the Liberator of the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of St John of Rhodes, was erected around 1400, on a small rocky peninsula on the east side of the modern-day Bodrum harbor. The site upon which the castle now stands has been identified with Zephyria, the island mentioned by Herodotus, while Bodrum is the modern name for the ancient Greek city of Halikarnassos. The fortress served as a military garrison, a fortress prison and a place for refugee over the Crusader period. It undergone various changes during the Ottoman phase of his history and now houses the Bodrum nautical museum.
Related records Access restricted