Cyzicus: The Vaults of the Temple of Hadrian
|Collection||BSA SPHS Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/0197.1390|
|Description||Glass quarter plate negative. A.E. Henderson's monogram and number 34 are written in ink on the negative. Possibly original or a first generation copy negative donated by Hasluck from an original film negative.|
|Dimensions||10.5 x 8 cm|
Cyzicus Temple of Hadrian
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Henderson, Mr Arthur Edward FSA
|Project||Cyzicus, Mysia and Bithynia|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images from the survey 1902-1906 carried out by F.W. Hasluck at Cyzicus and surrounding territory in Anatolia, under the auspices of the British School at Athens. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Cyzicus: Temple of Hadrian: the vaults".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's assistance to A.E. Henderson in the survey of Cyzicus, mentioned in his 1910 monograph (Cyzicus: Being Some Account of the History and Antiquities of that City, Cambridge: CUP). Although F.W. Hasluck is listed as the only donor in the SPHS Negative register, the photograph was most likely taken by A.E. Henderson.|
|Further information||The ancient town of Cyzicus was probably a Pelasgian foundation, but soon acquired considerable commercial significance and cut a particularly valuable staple coinage, the gold stater. It is located on the Propontis in the area of ancient Mysia, a region on the south coast of the Marmara sea northwest of Asia Minor. Pergamon and Cyzicus were the most important trade-centres in Mysia.
The naval battle of Cyzicus was of key importance for the outcome of the Peloponnesian war while under Roman emperor Tiberius the city witnessed prosperity and wealth. The city was captured temporarily by the Arabs in 675 and, after a series of disastrous earthquakes, it began, as early as the 11th century, to be gradually deserted. Principal ruins in the nearby marsh land of Balkiz Serai are those of the fourth-century walls, an Andrian temple, a Roman aqueduct and a theatre.