Erechtheion

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/01/027
Level Item
Place Erectheum
Athens Acropolis
Athens
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Ground plan. The words 'Athens, Erechtheion' are inscribed in the top right-hand corner. Further annotation in pencil survives. This is a preliminary drawing.
Further information The conversion of the Erechtheion into a three-aisled Christian basilica took place in the 7th c.
The newly founded Christian church was dedicated first to the Theotokos and later to the Holy Trinity. The eastern colonnade was reshaped in the form of an apse, the internal walls which separated the two temples (the Erechtheas and the Athena and Poseidon temple) were demolished, four columns, to divide the main naos into three aisles, and a narthex were added.

One of the marble closure slabs of the templon still survives in situ while parts of the sculpture decoration of the church are stored in the Byzantine Museum. The conversion of ancient monuments into places of worship must have been initiated by Justinian’s edict of 529.