|Byzantine Research Fund
Munro, Mr John Arthur Ruskin
Hogarth, Mr David George
|Scope and Content
|General view of the city showing the acropolis. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is signed (J.A.R. Munro) and numbered in pencil (H.S. 5800) at the back. Further annotation in pencil survives.
|Gaziora (Turhal) lies to the south-east of Amaseia. It is a town in the modern province of Tokat and was inhabited as early as the 3rd millenium BC. The town was besieged during its early history by Alexander the Great, the Persians and the Romans. During the Byzantine period it was the seat of the bishop of Ibora and raided by the Sussanids (4th c.) and the Arabs (8th c.). It fell into Turkish hands for the first time in 1068 and since 1413 the Ottomans have ruled the region and the city. A strongly fortified acropolis on the top of the nearby hill dominates the fertile plain on which the town prospered.