Omorphi Ekklesia in the Patisia Area of Athens, from the S.

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0293.1524
Level Item
Description Glass negative, approximately full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 19 x 12.5 cm
Place Omorphi Eklesia
Athens
Dates Latest 1897
Creator Leaf, Mr Walter
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Byzantine Attica. Patissia. The Omorphi Eklesia from the S.".
Notes Published in the first SPHS catalogue of the image collection in JHS for 1897, identified as catalogue number Bd1. Date of the image, therefore, must date prior to 1897.
Further information This small distyle cross-in-square church in Galatsi, Athens was built in the late 12th c. It is dedicated to Hagios Georgios but it is known as the ‘Beautiful Church’ (‘Omorphi Ekklesia’) due to its elegant proportions and the impressive fresco decoration. In terms of architecture, it follows the middle Byzantine church-building tradition of the Greek mainland (‘Greek School’), however, the ornamental cloisonné is not consistently applied: the texture of the walling is much quieter, the exterior simpler. The narthex and the attached south chapel (parekklesion), which in terms of architecture bears strong western influences, are contemporary additions. The interior is decorated with wall-paintings produced by different artists during the second half of the 13th c. Stylistically, they can be associated with the wall-paintings of the Metropolis and the Hagioi Theodoroi church at Mistra, Peloponnese as well as with the surviving frescoes of the Olympiotissa church at Elassona, Thessaly.
Reference 1897 JHS 17: Catalogue of Slides. lix.Bd 1. Link to article
1904 JHS 24: Catalogue of Slides. xcviii.SPHS 1524. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 39.SPHS 1524. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 75.SPHS 1524. Link to article