Mount Athos: General view of Dionysíou Monastery from the S.
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4579.9418|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||11 x 8.5 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Dionysíou: general view from S. ".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
The image appears in the SPHS Slide Set (no author), ca. 1932. The Greek Church, slide number 1.
|Further information||The Monastery of Dionysiou is situated on a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea. The founder of the monastery was thought to be a monk from the Kastoria district, funded by royal donation from Trebizond in the 14the century. However, most of the monastery was destroyed in a fire of 1535 and re-built by nobles from Wallachia. It only became part of the first rank of Athos monasteries in the 18th century, although by the time Hasluck visited in 1911, it was still considered to be quite poor. The katholikon and great tower were bult during the 16th century re-build.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 189-191)
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 31.SPHS 9418. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 73.SPHS 9418. Link to article