Mount Athos: Main dome of the the 16th century main church (Katholikon) of the Dionysíou Monastery

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4581.9420
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8.5 cm
Place Dionysíou Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Dionysíou: catholicon, main dome".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information The Monastery of Dionysiou is situated on a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea. The founder of the monastery was thought to be a monk from the Kastoria district, funded by royal donation from Trebizond in the 14the century. However, most of the monastery was destroyed in a fire of 1535 and re-built by nobles from Wallachia. It only became part of the first rank of Athos monasteries in the 18th century, although by the time Hasluck visited in 1911, it was still considered to be quite poor. The katholikon and great tower were bult during the 16th century re-build.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 189-191)