Mount Athos: General view of Stavronikita Monastery from the S.
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4717.9663|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||11 x 8 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Stavroniketa, general view from S.".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
|Further information||The Monastery of Stavronikita (or Stavroniketa) is situated high above the sea in wooded country. It was endowed by the Patriarch Jeremias ca. 1540, but its foundations were throught to be in the 9th century, mentioned in a document of 1016, and was originally a skete. It suffered from many fires though out the centuries, forcing the monastery to become impoverished by the end of the 19th century. By the time Hasluck visited in 1911, the monastery had greatly improved its fortunes and had almost paid off its debts. The walls and towers date to the 16th century, the refectory (trapeza) to the 18th and other improvements in the 19th century. The katholikon is dedicated to St. Nicolas.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 159-161)