Patmos: Monastery of Saint John the Theologian, showing arcades in courtyard

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/3935.7632
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately half plate size, presumably an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: [...] 8/25.
Dimensions 12.5 x 10 cm
Place Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
Dates Latest 1908
Creator Jones, Mr Ronald P.
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Patmos: upper monastery, shewing vaulting".
Notes Latest date based on R.P. Jones' donation of images to the SPHS collection - JHS 28 (1908) liii, possibly after a later Hellenic Travellers club cruise.
Further information Hellenic Travellers Club
The Hellenic Travellers Club consisted of school teachers and others interested in educational cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean. Initiated by Henry Lunn, the club was formalised in 1905, but grew out of experimental cruises called Argonaut Cruises (after the steam yacht) - first in 1901 and then in 1903 and 1904. Annual spring cruises began in 1905, continued until the First World War and resumed in 1924 before finally halting with advent of the Second World War

Many of the passengers from 1901 onward were keen photographers - initially referred to as the Argonaut Camera Club - and a number of their images were donated to the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies or made their way into private collections. The Hellenic Travellers Club produced annual proceedings which published many of the lectures given on board, illustrated with photographs from the tours. See: Harlan, D. 2018. "More than Armchair Travellers" ARGO 8: 19-21.
Related records [BRF/02/01/16/037], Hagios Ioannis Monastery, 1903-1908