Patmos: Monastery of Saint John the Theologian, showing arcades in courtyard
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/3936.7633|
|Description||Film negative, approximately half plate size, an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: [...] 8/25.|
|Dimensions||12.5 x 10 cm|
Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
Jones, Mr Ronald P.
|Scope and Content||The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Patmos: upper monastery, shewing archades".|
|Notes||Latest date based on R.P. Jones' donation of images to the SPHS collection - JHS 28 (1908) liii, possibly after a later Hellenic Travellers club cruise.|
The monastery of Hagios Ioannis o Theologos on the island of Patmos was founded on the ruins of an ancient temple of Artemis in 1088 by monk Christodoulos at the instigation of emperor Alexios Komnenos. It consists of several courtyards, chapels, stairways, arcades, galleries and other auxiliary monastic buildings. The complex was heavily fortified. The chapel of the Theotokos is decorated with high quality twelfth-century frescoes while the treasury houses an impressive collection of religious artefacts, mainly icons of the so-called Cretan school.
The Cave of the Apocalypse is about halfway up the path that leads to the monastic complex. According to tradition, this is the location where St. John wrote the Book of Revelation. The Chapel of St. Anna, situated at the entrance to the cave, was also constructed by Christodoulos.
[BRF/02/01/16/038], Hagios Ioannis Monastery, 1903-1908
1909 JHS 29: 5th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxx.SPHS 7633. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 28.SPHS 7633. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 73.SPHS 7633. Link to article