Mount Athos: Great tower at Stavronikita Monastery

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/3610.C0808
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 10.5 x 8 cm
Place Stavronikita Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1912-1913
Creator Tillyard, Professor Henry Julius Wetenhall
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Byzantine church Mt. Athos, Stavronikita tower".
Notes Dates probably to 1912/1913 as Tillyard's visit to Laura on Mount Athos is mentioned in a footnote of his article, 'Fragment of a Byzantine Musical Handbook in the Monastery of Laura on Mt. Athos' Annual of the British School at Athens 19 (1912/1913), p.95.
Further information The Monastery of Stavronikita (or Stavroniketa) is situated high above the sea in wooded country. It was endowed by the Patriarch Jeremias ca. 1540, but its foundations were throught to be in the 9th century, mentioned in a document of 1016, and was originally a skete. It suffered from many fires though out the centuries, forcing the monastery to become impoverished by the end of the 19th century. By the time Hasluck visited in 1911, the monastery had greatly improved its fortunes and had almost paid off its debts. The walls and towers date to the 16th century, the refectory (trapeza) to the 18th and other improvements in the 19th century. The katholikon is dedicated to St. Nicolas.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 159-161)