Mount Athos: General view from the land of Simopetra Monastery with the aqueduct

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4168.8541
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8.5 cm
Place Simopetra Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Simopetra: general view from the land with aqueduct".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information The Simopetra (or Simonos Petra) Monastery was built on top of a high, isolated and precipitous rock formation much like the monasteries at Meteora. Its arsenal lies on the coast below. The monastery was founded in 1363 by a hermit named Simon with the Serbian king as benefactor. The monastery has been frequently burnt and rebuilt - the last at the end of the 19th century when only the relics were saved. Its fortunes have risen and fallen, often falling into deep debt. During the Greek War of Independence, it was abandoned by the monks and garrisoned Turkish forces despoiled the place. When Hasluck visited in 1911, the majority of buildings dated to the late 19th and early 20th century reconstructions.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 194-195)