Mount Athos: General view from the sea of the Russian Monastery known as Rossikon [St. Panteleimon Monastery]
|Collection||BSA SPHS Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4169.8542|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||11 x 8 cm|
St. Panteleimon Monastery
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Roussikoú: general view".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924). According to Hasluck in his book, this image belongs to the Xenophontos Monastery. It is on the same plate as a similar view of the "Russiko" or Russian Monastery which is the St. Panteleimon Monastery and is probably a mix-up.|
|Further information||St. Panteleimon Monastery is also known as the Rossikon ('Roussiko') or Russian Monastery. It stands on the west shore of Mount Athos. It seems to have had early Serbian and then Russian connection by the 16th century until the monastery was ruined in 1584. It remained in a decayed state and by 1705 there were only four resident monks - two Bulgarian and two Russian. In the early 19th century it came under the protection of the Phanariote hospodar family of Kallimachis who had many buildings reconstructed which were observed by Hasluck in 1911.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 122-125)
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8542. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 32.SPHS 8542. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 74.SPHS 8542. Link to article
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 122, pl. 15(b).