Mount Athos: The steps in the court of the Xenophontos Monastery

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4170.8543
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8 cm
Place Xenophontos Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Xenóphou: view in court".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information Built on the west shore of Mount Athos, the Xenophontos Monastery is deidcated to St. George. It claims that its founder was the 6th century St. Xenophon, but more likely to have been either the abbot of St. George who signed a document in 1010 or a wealthy Constantonopolitan (also in the 9th century). The chief benefactors seem to have been Moldo-Wallachian who undertook considerable restoration in 1545. Later in the 16th century more rebuilding was conducted under Romanian sponsorship. The buildings seen by Hasluck in 1911 date to two periods - the first to the middle of the 16th century, and the second to the early 19th century when the monastery was enlarged.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 115-120)