Mount Athos: Detail of buttresses on the 16th century main church (Katholikon) of the Dochiariou Monastery

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4173.8546
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8.5 cm
Place Dochiariou Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Docheraréiou: church detail of buttresses, S. side".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information Records of the Dochiariou Monastery indicate that the founder was Euthymius, abbot of Daphne, in the first half of the 11th century. The monks purchased the site from Xenophontos Monastery to create a new monastery dedicated to St. Michael. Moldovan benefactors restored the monastery in 1568 after a period of desertion. The site lies on a steep slope rising from the sea with most of the buildings seen by Hasluck in 1911 dating to the Moldovan reconstructions.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 130-134)