Mount Athos: E. side of the court of the Zographou Monastery and its bell tower (campanile).
|Collection||BSA SPHS Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4176.8549|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||10.5 x 8.5 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Zográphou: E. side of court with clock tower".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
|Further information||Zographou Monastery is a wealthy foundation, most likely in the late 11th century, from three nobles from Ochrida in Macedonia. It is dedicated to St George. Around 1500, there was a great deal of rebuilding although nothing from this period remains. Hasluck's impressions in 1911 were of a wealthy monastery with well-kept buildings that date to the latter part of the 18th century or early 19th.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 138-140)
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8549. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 32.SPHS 8549. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 74.SPHS 8549. Link to article