Mount Athos: The great tower (12th century, restored 17th century) of the Hilandar Monastery

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4178.8551
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8.5 cm
Place Hilandar Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Chiliandári: great tower".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information The Hilandar (or Chilandari) Monastery lies in a wooded valley on the north shore of the peninsula of Mount Athos. Its foundation is attributed to the 12th century Serbian King Stephen Nemanja. Stephen, later became the monk Symeon, obtained a ruined monastery from Vatopedia Monastery (where he was also a benefactor) and rebuilt it. The Slavs of Vatopedia colonised this new monastery. It was subsequently endowed by Serbian nobility and the katholikon rebuilt at the end of the 13th century. When Hasluck visited in 1911, most of the buildings post-dated the fire of 1722. During the Greek War of Independence, Turkish troops were quartered here and it was nearly abandoned by the monks. Hasluck also mentions that the monastery was (in 1911) a poor one and, although the monastery was officially recognised as Serbian, the majority of monks were Bulgarian.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 141-145)
Reference 1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8551. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 31.SPHS 8551. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 73.SPHS 8551. Link to article