Mount Athos: Detail of the S. choir of the main church (Katholikon) of the Hilandar Monastery

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4180.8553
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8.5 cm
Place Hilandar Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Chiliandári: church, detail of S. choir".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924). The architectural term choir, sometimes quire, is an area of a church designed to accommodate the liturgical singers, often placed between the nave and templon.
Further information The Hilandar (or Chilandari) Monastery lies in a wooded valley on the north shore of the peninsula of Mount Athos. Its foundation is attributed to the 12th century Serbian King Stephen Nemanja. Stephen, later became the monk Symeon, obtained a ruined monastery from Vatopedia Monastery (where he was also a benefactor) and rebuilt it. The Slavs of Vatopedia colonised this new monastery. It was subsequently endowed by Serbian nobility and the katholikon rebuilt at the end of the 13th century. When Hasluck visited in 1911, most of the buildings post-dated the fire of 1722. During the Greek War of Independence, Turkish troops were quartered here and it was nearly abandoned by the monks. Hasluck also mentions that the monastery was (in 1911) a poor one and, although the monastery was officially recognised as Serbian, the majority of monks were Bulgarian.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 141-145)