Hagioi Tessarakonta

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/14/154
Level Item
Place Ancient Sparta
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Ground plan. This is a preliminary drawing. It is annotated in pencil.
Further information The monastery of Hagioi Tessarakonta was founded in the 13th c. on Stamatera mountain, close to Sparta. Today a small chapel decorated by the post-Byzantine painter Constantine Manasse marks the place. In 1615 the monastic complex was re-founded at a new, better protected location nearby. It suffered severe damage in 1770, however, it continued to play a key role in the 1821 War of Independence. The wall paintings of the katholikon, which is of the cross-in-square domed type, date to the last decades of the 18th c., well after the restoration of the monastic complex. Worth noting is the wooden-carved templon of the church. The monastery has recently been restored.