Hagios Andreas

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/01/001
Level Item
Place Hagios Andreas
Athens
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Leaf, Mr Walter
Leaf, Mr Walter
Scope and Content The fresco decoration of the east apse of the church. The notes (in pencil) : 'Church of S. Andrew', Athens' and 'W. Leaf, Duplicate' survive at the back. Furhter annotation in pencil survives.
Further information The three-aisled basilica of Hagios Andreas, which was located in the courtyard of the contemporary Metropolis of Athens, was the katholikon of the Hagia Philothei nunnery. The nunnery was named after Rigoula Venizelou (later St Philothei, d. 1589) of the powerful Venizelos family who served there as a nun. The church and the monastic buildings, which were restored by the saint in 1550, suffered extensive damage during the 1821 War of Independence, were demolished in 1890 and a new church was erected on the same site in 1893. Parts of the wall-paintings which decorated the monastic buildings are kept in the Byzantine Museum of Athens. Icons by the post-Byzantine painter Emmanuel Tzanes decorated the interior of the church.
Related records [BSA SPHS 01/0292.1523], Athens: Byzantine Art, Apse of Agios Andreas (St. Andrew), Latest 1890