About the 1936 Exhibition Collection
The British School at Athens celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1936 with a large public exhibition at Burlington House at the Royal Academy of Arts in London. The exhibition, British Archaeological Discoveries in Greece and Crete 1886-1936, consisted of a special display of Minoan culture related to the discoveries at Knossos by Sir Arthur Evans as well as the excavations of the School including: Phylakopi, Kamares Cave, Palaikastro, Mycenae, Sparta, Perachora, Thessaly, Macedonia, Lesbos, Cyprus, Ithaca, and Megalopolis (Arcadia). It also included displays of Travels and Studies in Greece and Asia Minor, the Genose in the Levant, Monasteries in Athos, Byzantine Music, Byzantine Architecture and Decorative Arts, Greek Island Embroideries, Special Studies of Greek Pottery and Sculpture, Restoration of Ancient Monuments, Studies of Modern Greek Life and the School buildings and officers.
Since original ancient artifacts could not be transported to the exhibition in London, the displays consisted of replicas of ancient artifacts, modern ethnographic artifacts and illustrative panels with original watercolour drawings, many of which were done by Émile Gilliéron and Piet de Jong, and photographs.
The 1936 Exhibition Collection contains the surviving panels with original artwork from this exhibition.
A watercolour illustration of the proposed reconstruction of a fresco frieze in red, blue, yellow, black, and white depicting three horses and four men, one of whom is carrying a spear. The surviving sections on which the reconstruction is based are slightly raised and with more detailed paint, rather than flat colours. The original description in the catalogue reads: "Frieze of warriors and horses, found by Tsountas in the Megaron; beginning of L.H. III (1400-1300 B.C.): reconstructed drawing."
Cut up card base with four images attached. Three of the images are labelled with the pasted letters b-d; the letters b and c have lines drawn over them in pencil. To the right of the unlabelled image is a slightly paler square where there could have been a label. In the lower left corner of the leftmost panel is a paler square with some residue, where a panel number may have been removed. The panel with an unlabelled image (1936/01/04/02/01) has an 8 in a diamond in pencil in the lower left corner. The panel labelled c (1936/01/04/02/02) has a 10 in a diamond in pencil in the top right corner. The panel labelled b (1936/01/04/02/03) has a 9 in a diamond in pencil in the lower left corner, a 56 in blue pencil in the lower right corner, which has been crossed out in pencil and 55 written beside it, and to the right of the label is 2/1 written in biro. The panel labelled d (1936/01/04/02/04) has 104 d in pencil in the top right corner and a bibliographic reference beneath it. The original description in the catalogue reads: "a. Bronze mirrors with (b) carved ivory handles, from the woman's grave in the entrance passage of the "Tomb of Clytemnestra," L.H. III (1400-1100 B.C.). c. Ivory inlay from a wooden casket, from Tomb 518, L.H. II (1500-1400 B.C.). d. Fragments of ivory plaque (restored drawing), showing guardian lions in heraldic posture, from "Tomb of Aegisthus," L.H. II (1500-1400 B.C.).”
Collection of illustrations which originally made up exhibit 116. The items were originally displayed on five panels. The original description in the catalogue reads: "a. Engraved seal-stones and gold rings (1500-110 B.C.): note especially the Goddess with the double axe and guardian lions. b. Beads of carnelian, amethyst faïence and glass (1600-1400 B.C.), from Tombs 518 and 529: L.H. I and II. c. Wing of ivory inlaid with blue paste, and beads of lapis lazuli, carnelian, faïence and glass; from the woman's grave in the entrance passage of the "Tomb of Clytemnestra" (1400-1300 BC). Gold rosette, bronze arrowhead, and beads of bronze, carnelian onyx, amethyst and glass; Tomb 515: L.H. II (1500-1400 B.C.). d. Scarabs of reign of Amenhotep III (c.1411-1380 B.C.); beads of amber, faïence, glass, carnelian, onyx, crystal, agate and steatite; from Tomb 526, beginning of L.H. III, 14th century B.C. e. Gold pendants from necklaces (left and right), from Tombs 55, 68 and 515 at Mycenae, and from chamber tomb at Argos (1500-1400 B.C.). Embossed gold plaques and beads (centre) from same grave as (c)." 116a is missing: some of the seals can be seen on a printer's proof (MYC 3/3/10/1), but it can be seen from BSA SPHS 01/6840.C6849 that the original version of this was made of nine larger seals, ordered differently. The originals might be part of the excavation records in Cambridge, and are possibly MCNE-2-3-01-02, 03, 09, 10, 13.
Pencil illustration of a capital. In the lower left corner is written in pencil " ARTA Saint Theodora [...] 1890. On the right of the illustration is a note saying "see other side". In the lower right corner is an upside-down Byzantine Research Fund copyright stamp with the original archive number written in. The original description in the catalogue reads: "The Church of St. Theodora. - This building dates from the 15th century; it appears to be based on Macedonian models". "500. Capital." This drawing is part of the Byzantine Research Fund Archive: BRF/1/1/9/7.