Constantinople: Capital frieze and inscription in the Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Little Hagia Sophia or the Küçük Ayasofya mosque)

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/3720.C0902
Level Item
Description Glass negative, quarter plate size, a copy negative taken from a photographic print or postcard.
Dimensions 10.5 x 8 cm
Place Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus
Dates Latest 1923
Donor/Creator The Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies
Sebah & Joaillier
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Constantinople, SS Sergius & Bacchus caps frieze and inscription".
Notes Latest date based on the inclusion in the 1923 list of accessions to the slide catalogue. The caption "[N]o. 929 . Petite Ste Sophie" and the photographic studio of "Sebah & Joallier" printed on the bottom of the photograph.
Further information The church of Hagioi Sergios and Bakchos is one of the most important monuments of early Byzantine architecture. It was erected by Justinian between 527 and 536 at Hormisdas palace, below the Hippodrome, and stands, apart from minor modifications and the Turkish portico on the west façade, impressively intact to date. An octagon with a square is linked to the tradition of octagonal palace churches with galleries expanding the central nave on diagonal axes, colourful columns and the finest architectural sculpture. The earlier basilica of Hagioi Petros and Paulos, with which it shared narthex and atrium, was erected by Justinian too, probably between 518 and 520. Together they must have formed a complex liturgical plan of twin churches in the early Byzantine period.
Reference 1923 JHS 43: 9th accession to 1913 slide catalogue. lxi.SPHS C.902. Link to article