Cyprus, Limassol: Agios Nikolaos Monastery, a Ruin near Cape Gata

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0423.1788
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative. In addition to the SPHS Catalogue number, the number 88 written on the negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Monastery of St. Nicolas of the Cats
Dates 1888
Donor/Creator Macmillan, Mr Malcolm
Dyer, Mr Louis
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Cyprus: Limassol. St. Nicholas monastery, a ruin near Cape Gatto".
Notes Date of the image is probably prior to 1890, probably to 1888 when the donors were thought to be in Cyprus with E.A. Gardner (see JHS 9: 170). Photographs by Dyer and Macmillan were submitted to the Hellenic Society's collections and catalogued, see JHS 11 (1890) p. xxxviii.
Further information Allegedly, the foundation of the monastery of Hagios Nikolaos tes Gatas (of the Cats) at Akrotiri, near Limassol on the site of ancient Curium goes back to the time of Constantine the Great. Some time in the 14th c. and again before 1570 the monastic complex was drastically restored. It consists of an elongated rectangle pointed barrel-vaulted church, living quarters at the west end and a cloister. The pillars of the surviving pointed-arched walk are Roman spolia. Worth noting for its white marble lintel is the doorway of the complex. The earliest parts of the monastery date to the 13th c.
Related records [BRF/02/07/03/001], Hagios Nikolaos tes Gatas, 1888
Reference 1904 JHS 24: Catalogue of Slides. xcii.SPHS 1788. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 23.SPHS 1788. Link to article