Hagios Nikolaos tes Gatas

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/07/03/001
Level Item
Place Monastery of St. Nicolas of the Cats
Dates 1888
Donor/Creator Macmillan, Mr Malcolm
Dyer, Mr Louis
Scope and Content View of the monastery. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is numbered (H.S. 1788) and annotated in pencil at the back.
Further information Allegedly, the foundation of the monastery of Hagios Nikolaos tes Gatas (of the Cats) at Akrotiri, near Limassol on the site of ancient Curium goes back to the time of Constantine the Great. Some time in the 14th c. and again before 1570 the monastic complex was drastically restored. It consists of an elongated rectangle pointed barrel-vaulted church, living quarters at the west end and a cloister. The pillars of the surviving pointed-arched walk are Roman spolia. Worth noting for its white marble lintel is the doorway of the complex. The earliest parts of the monastery date to the 13th c.
Related records [BSA SPHS 01/0423.1788], Cyprus, Limassol: Agios Nikolaos Monastery, a Ruin near Cape Gata, 1888