Bargello

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/05/02/001
Level Item
Place Florence
Dates September 1888
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Font. The drawing is labelled, dated and initialed (R.W.S.) in pencil in the lower right-hand corner.
Further information The Bargello, known as the Bargello Palace or the Palace of the People (Palazzo del Popolo), was built in 1261 to house the Podestà, the chief magistrate of the city of Florence. It served as a model for Palazza Vecchio and is considered the oldest public building in Florence. Designed around an open courtyard, this two-storey building was enlarged after the 1323 fire by the addition of a third floor. An external staircase leads to the second floor while a font is found in the middle of the courtyard. Since 1865 Bargello has housed a national museum with fine collections in a variety of media and the largest collection of Italian/Florentine Gothic and Renaissance sculpture.