Levadia Castle from the South
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Traquair, Mr Ramsay
|Scope and Content||Levadia castle - View from the South. Further annotation in pencil survives at the back of the photograph.|
|Further information||Soon after the conquest of south Greece by the Venetians in 1204, Levadia was granted to Otto de La Ross. Almost a century later, however, in 1311, the town was lost to the Katalans who conquered the present-day region of Boetia.
The Katalans restored the Venetian castle of the town adding substantial extensions to it. Built on a strategic cross-roads, the castle served as a base for their military expeditions until it fell to the Turks in the early 16th c. In March 1821 the Greek flag was flown above the battlements of the castle symbolically marking the beginning of the Greek War of Independence. Levadia castle has been restored by the Archaeological Service and nowadays serves as a city museum.