Hagios Ioannis ton Stoudiou

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/02/01/026
Level Item
Place Istanbul
Dates 1907
Donor/Creator Traquair, Mr Ramsay
Henderson, Mr Arthur Edward FSA
Scope and Content Plans and sections of architectural members (details). The drawing is labelled in ink: 'S. John of the Studion Details of Doors From drawings by A.E. Henderson'. It is initialed and dated in ink (RT) in the lower right-hand corner. It is annotated in ink.
Further information Stoudios monastery, a spacious three-aisled basilica located in the Psamathia region close to the Golden Gate, is the oldest surviving church in Constantinople. Dedicated to Hagios Ioannis (St John) the Baptist it owes its name to its founder Senator Stoudios. The monastery, which must have been founded before 454 –at around 450 as recent excavations suggest- played a key role during the iconoclastic controversy as a major iconophile centre under the leadership of the celebrated hegoumenos Theodore of Stoudios.

A large number of entrances provided access to the building from all four sides, galleries run above the aisles and the narthex, a large atrium preceded the church which was decorated with rich architectural sculpture of the finest quality. Only a cistern to the southeast of the basilica and a middle/late Byzantine two-columned, groin-vaulted chapel remain of the rest of the monastic buildings.

The monastery, which continued to play a key role in the political/ecclesiastical struggles at least until the middle Byzantine period, was restored in 1293 acquiring the importance it had before its decline during the Latin occupation of Constantinople. The surviving Typikon (foundation document) of the monastery, a cornerstone text for Byzantine liturgical tradition first complied just after Theodore of Studios’ death (826), ruled the rite of most Byzantine monasteries outside Palestine until the 14th c.