Theotokou Excavation 1907
Excavation: Research excavation
A.J.B. Wace and J.P Droop of the British School at Athens began the excavations with twelve men on June 10, 1907. The standing drums proved not to be in position and the stylobate could not be found. On the cliff to the S.E. are remains of a Greek settlement. Four archaic painted antefixes were found. The cliff is much corroded, and it is suggested that the temple to which the fragments belonged once stood on the cliff. Four 'geometric' tombs came to light. All contained skeletons (one of them a child's). Other contents of the graves were fibulae, rings, iron pins with bronze heads and eighteen vases similar to a group from Thessaly now in the National Museum, Athens. The floor mosaic of a church of the 4th or 5th century and two Byzantine columns were found during the search for the temple.
Active from 10 Jun 1907 to Jul 1907.
Wace, Mr Alan John Bayard
Droop, Professor John Percival
Wace, Alan J. & Droop, John P. 1907. Excavations at Theotokou, Thessaly. BSA 13: 308-327. Direct link
[Journal] The Annual of the British School at Athens, no. 13 (1906/1907).