Haliartos Excavation 1931
The excavation was to carry on and expand the work started in 1926. It was found that the eastern end of the temple had been completely destroyed. Adjacent to the north side of the existing temple foundations and running alongside of, and beyond, them in both directions at a lower level was found a structure about sixteen metres long and two metres wide which may be the foundations of an earlier temple. A votive deposit was found outside the western arc of the peribolos or temenos wall. It contained a mass of pottery, chiefly black glaze, including a number of sherds with incised inscriptions. Among these there was a dedication to Athena. It is indicated thereby that the temple itself belonged to Athena, however this was not mentioned by Pausanias in his writings on the site. The long rectangular building to the south of the temple had already been judged to be contemporary with the temple and to be a part of the sacred precinct, but inside the remains of Byzantine houses were found.
Active in 1931.
Haliartos Excavation 1931 (Fieldwork)Haliartos Excavation 1931 (Excavation)