Naukratis Excavation 1899
In 1899, D.G. Hogarth ( Director of the British School at Athens) conducted a rescue excavation at Naukratis due to the encroaching cultivation and irrigation near the site. The site of the great Hellenion was found, identified, and partly cleared, located at the north end of the mounds of Gaif. A quantity of dedications to "The Gods of the Greeks" and to many individual deities found here proved the identity beyond question. A deposit of fine fifth-century terracottas, relics of an Aphrodite cult, were unearthed in the enclosure, and also some very interesting early sculpture and vase fragments. The plans of two successive shrines at least were partly recovered before an influx of water and the great height of the mounds to the north-east stopped the work.
Active in 1899.
Naukratis Excavation 1899 (Fieldwork)Naukratis Excavation 1899 (Excavation)
Gardner, Professor Ernest Arthur
1899. Annual Meeting of Subscribers. BSA 5: 99-107. Direct link
Edgar, Campbell C. 1898. Excavations at Naukratis. C. A Relief. BSA 5: 65-66. Direct link
Gutch, Clement. 1898. Excavations at Naukratis. D. The Terracottas. BSA 5: 67-98. Direct link
Edgar, Campbell C. 1898. Excavations at Naukratis. B. The Inscribed and Painted Pottery. BSA 5: 47-64. Direct link
Hogarth, David G. 1898. Excavations at Naukratis. A. Site and Buildings. BSA 5: 26-46. Direct link