Phylakopi Project 1974-1977
The 1974-1977 Phylakopi excavations aimed to continue the work undertaken at the site in 1896-1899 by D. Mackenzie and others and then in 1911 by R. M. Dawkins and J. P. Droop. Specific areas explored were that of the Mycenaean Megaron and beside the fortifications on the southeast, where an important late Mycenaean shrine was discovered and the walls exposed in earlier campaigns were consolidated. In the region of the megaron, the existence of a building of comparable size during Late Minoan IB was established, and fresco fragments were recovered which brought into question the ascription of previously found frescoes to the second city. With the help of finds, the stratigraphy below the floor of the Megaron complex and the Third city street can be dated to LH III A and B. The fortification walls were securely dated to Late Helladic IIIB, but an earlier double circuit, dating to Late Minoan IA/B, was traced outside them on the south. A small shrine or pair of shrines adjoining the city wall to the west, with phases lasting from Late Helladic IIIA to the desertion of the site at the end of the Mycenaean period, produced a very important series of male and female figurines, probably of deities, and large wheel-made animals. The shrine has been published as Supplementary Volume No. 18.
Active from 1974 to 1977.
Phylakopi Project 1974-1977 (Research programme)Phylakopi Excavation 1974-1977 (Project)
Phylakopi Excavation 1974-1977: Season 1974 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1974-1977: Season 1975 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1974-1977: Season 1976 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1974-1977: Season 1977 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Survey 1977 (Project)
Phylakopi Survey 1977 (Survey)
Renfrew, Professor Andrew Colin
Renfrew, Colin, et al. 2007. Excavations at Phylakopi in Melos 1974-77. 42. xvi, 521 p. + 61 p. of plates :ill., fold. plans.