Melos Campaign 1896-1899
Excavations began at the ancient city of Melos (Tramythia) in 1896 at an area between the villages of Klima, Trypete and Plaka. Various areas were uncovered - walls, gate, stadium, theatre, an elaborate mosaic floor in a cult building as well as later Byzantine churches. The site of Phylakopi was first explored in 1896 and it was concluded that further excavation would be fruitful. Excavations were conducted here from 1896 to 1899. Meanwhile, several other explorations were conducted on the island in 1896 - an architectural survey of some of the interesting older churches and a general archaeological survey of the island. In 1897, three short-term excavations at Pelos, Pertolonia (near Trypete) and at Tramythia were conducted, but cut short by order of the Ministry of Culture. It should be noted that the antiquities law changed in 1897 resulting in a change of focus strictly on Phylakopi.
Active from 20 Mar 1896 to Apr 1899.
Melos Campaign 1896-1899 (Research programme)The Churches of Melos 1896 (Project)
The Churches of Melos 1896 (Survey)
Melos Survey 1896 (Project)
Melos Survey 1896 (Survey)
Melos Trial Excavations 1897 (Project)
Pelos excavation 1897 (Evaluation)
Petralonia excavation 1897 (Evaluation)
Demarch's field l 1897 (Evaluation)
Tramythia Excavation 1896 (Project)
Tramythia Excavation 1896 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1896-1899 (Project)
Phylakopi Excavation 1896-1899: Season 1896 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1896-1899: Season 1897 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1896-1899: Season 1898 (Excavation)
Phylakopi Excavation 1896-1899: Season 1899 (Excavation)
Smith, Cecil H. 1895. Archaeology in Greece, 1895-6. BSA 2: 47-62. Direct link
Mackenzie, Duncan. 1897. Excavations of the British School at Melos: The Site of the 'Three Churches'. JHS 17: 122-133. Direct link
Bosanquet, Robert C. 1898. Excavations of the British School at Melos. The Hall of the Mystae. JHS 18: 60-80.
Smith, Cecil H. 1895. Excavations in Melos. BSA 2: 63-76. Direct link
Bosanquet, Robert C. 1896. Excavations at Melos-The East Gate. BSA 2: 77-82. Direct link