Perachora Excavation 1930-1939: Season 1933
Excavation: Research excavation
The principal objective of this year's campaign was the removal of the Chapel of St. John (see J.H.S. LII, 243, fig. 8); this task was carried out, and the Chapel was rebuilt a short distance away, higher up the hill (see Fig. I). Before and during the demolition of the chapel, some trials were made immediately to the south of the triglyph altar, uncovered last year (J.H.S. LII, 243), which stands between the chapel and the sea. Just below the foundations of the altar some very early Protocorinthian sherds were found, and the whole area was therefore systematically explored. the most remarkable finds from this area-indeed some of the most remarkable which the site has yet produced-are fragments of several clay models of houses, or temples, of the Geometric period. Then, almost exactly below the north wall of the chapel, part of the foundation of an apsidal building, a little over 6 metres long, came to light, and immediately explained the presence of the Geometric deposit, for this foundation can only be that of a Geometric temple. Minor excavations were carried out in other parts of the site-in the Agora (by Mr. Brock) and in the cisterns and houses of the town (by Messrs. Lane, Cook, and Kenny). In the temple of Hera Limenia it was discovered that three of the stones which lined the sacrificial pit (J.H.S. LII, 240) were inscribed with votive inscriptions of a very early date. In the Agora the most interesting discovery was that of a thick deposit of pottery exclusively of' transitional' and early Corinthian character: a closed deposit of this kind is naturally of importance for the chronology of new types, and of terracottas, scarabs, etc. found with it. A quantity of Roman pottery was obtained from the small Roman buildings in the Agora. In the town east of the Heraeum valley it was established that several of the houses are at least as early as the sixth century.
Active from 10 Apr 1933 to 13 May 1933.
[Journal] The Annual of the British School at Athens, no. 102 (2007).