Sparta Excavation 1906-1910 Season 1910
Excavation: Research excavation
In the final season of excavation in the Sparta region by the British School at Athens, the Mycenaean site found in 1909 near the Menelaion, was the main focus of work, although other outlying areas were also investigated. The whole elevated area to the south of the Menelaion, bounded on the west by the Eurotas and on the east by a lateral valley, was shown to be covered with the remains of Mycenaean houses. Except by the Menelaion itself no Greek remains whatever were found on these hills, just as on the site of classical Sparta nothing Mycenaean has been found, and it is therefore plain that the earlier city was entirely destroyed, apparently by fire, and the classical Sparta refounded on another site. The Mycenaean city left its only trace in the situation of the cult of Menelaos. The houses were unfortunately so very much destroyed by erosion that nothing but the lowest courses of the walls remained, and in certain cases not even so much. One house near the Menelaion was better preserved, and contained some painted vases and curious clay sealings for the mouths of wine jars, stamped with a signet ring and tied on with rushes. Near the hamlet of Magoula to the west of Sparta, a site was investigated where a few bronzes had previously been found in the sinking of a well. Whatever building may have stood there had entirely disappeared, but a few terracotta objects were found, and several tiles stamped with the word A Y K E 0 Y, which suggest a temple of Apollo Lykeios. The site of the Eleusinion lies an hour and a half south of Sparta at the hamlet of Kalyvia tes Sochis at the foot of Tayjgetos was also examined. Inscriptions had already been found on the site of the former church of Hagia Sophia in the village, and in an olive grove immediately above it, lead figurines and other small objects. The greater part of this area was cleared by a number of pits and trenches, and the view that here was the Eleusinion was amply confirmed. The deposit had, however, been very much disturbed, no walls were found and the objects were few, broken and scattered. The more important finds were tiles stamped with the name Demeter, a fragment of an inscription apparently containing rules for the sanctuary, and a few terracotta figurines of the goddess, lead wreaths and miniature vases.
Active in 1910.
Dawkins, Mr Richard McGillivray
Farrell, Mr J.
George, Mr Walter Sykes
[Journal] The Annual of the British School at Athens, no. 16 (1909/1910).
Dawkins, Richard M. & Woodward, Arthur M. 1910. Laconia. I. Excavations at Sparta, 1910. BSA 16: 1-61. Direct link